找回密码
 注册
查看: 1575|回复: 10

[职业] Your Resume Is NEVER Enough to Get the Job You Want

[复制链接]
发表于 2/18/2016 14:58:03 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Your Resume Is NEVER Enough to Get the Job You Want
(Jeff Haden).
You send in your resume. You include a hopefully eye-catching cover letter. You ask someone to put in a good word for you.
Then you wait. And wait. And don't get the job.
Why? You didn't put in the work.
There are many things you can't control about the job seeking process. Cumbersome application systems, automated filters that identify keywords instead of talent, lazy hiring managers content to simply find round pegs for round holes, people who make the biggest hiring mistake of all....
But there is one thing you can control: the amount of work you put in.
If you're struggling to land the job you want, don't complain. Don't blame others. Sure, the system often sucks -- so accept it sucks and then figure out how to beat it. Commit to doing more. Commit to doing what other candidates aren't willing to do. That's how you stand out. That's how you get the job you really want.
Try this:
1. Determine the company you want to work for.
Obvious, right? Not really. Many job seekers play the numbers game and respond to as many job postings as possible.
Shotgun resume submissions results in hiring managers sifting through dozens of potential candidates to find the right person. (Good luck emerging from thatparticular pile.) To show the hiring manager you are the right candidate, you have to do the work.
Instead of shotgunning your resume, put in the time to determine a company you definitely want to work for, and then...
2. Really know the company.
Pretend I'm the hiring manager. "I would love to work for you," you say to me. What I actually hear is, "I would love for you to pay me."
You can't possibly know if you want to work for my company unless you know a lot about my company; that's the difference between just wanting a job and wanting an actual role in a business. Talk to friends, relatives, vendors, customers... anyone you can find. Check management and employees out on social media. When you know the people, you know the company. Learn as much as you can.
Then leverage what you learn and...
3. Figure out how you will hit the ground running.
Many companies see training as a necessary evil. Training takes time, money, effort... all of which are in short supply. An ideal new hire can be productive immediately, at least in part.
While you don't need to be able to do everything required in the job, it helps if the company can see an immediate return on their hiring investment. (Remember, hiring you is an investment that needs to generate a return.)
Identify one or two important things you can contribute from day one. Then...
4. Don't just tell. Show.
Put what you can offer on display. If you're a programmer, mock up a new application. If you want a sales position, create a plan for how you'll target a new market or customer base or describe how you will implement marketing strategies the business is currently not using.
A show and tell is your chance to prove you know the company and what you can offer. Your initiative will be impressive and you'll go a long way towards overcoming concerns that you're all talk and no action.
Is it fair you're doing a little work on spec? Should you have to create a mockup or plan in order to get the job? Not really and probably not... but doing so will definitely set you apart.
Never let "fair" -- when the only person "disadvantaged" is you -- get in the way of achieving your goals.
5. Use a referral as a reinforcement.
Business is all about relationships. We've all made made bad hiring decisions, so a referral from someone we trust is like gold.
You may have to dig deep into your network or even forge new connections, but the effort will be worth it.
Knowing that someone we trust is willing to vouch for you is a data point that often tips the decision scale towards giving you an interview... and even giving you the job.
6. Be the one who knocks.
You don't have to wait to be called for an interview. You don't have to wait for an opening to be posted; after all, you've identified ways you can immediately help the company you want to work for. Wrangle an introduction, meet with someone who can actually influence the hiring decision, and pitch away.
Think it won't work? It will -- as long as you show the person you contact how they will also benefit. Say, "I really want to work for your company. I know you're in charge of social media marketing and I've developed a data-driven way to analyze activities, ROI, brand awareness... I'd love to take you to lunch and show you. If you hate my ideas, at least you got a free lunch. If you love them, you learned something. What do you have to lose?"
A friend of mine who runs a tech company has hired four people in the last six months who approached him in a similar fashion. He's a go-getter; he loves hiring go-getters. And he loves when they find him.
Just make sure you go straight to describing how the company will benefit from hiring you. Say, "Your website is good but it could be a lot better. Here are changes I will make in the first month and here is how those changes will improve conversions and SEO results. And here's a mock-up I created of a new site design."
Approach them right and people will pay attention -- especially entrepreneurs and small businesses. I don't know any smart people who won't drop everything to learn how to improve their business.
7. Assert yourself.
Many people are poor interviewers. That's especially true for small business owners; many are terrible interviewers. (As a friend of mine says, "I don't work in HR. I run a business.")
So be direct and to the point. Explain what you can do. Describe your background. Don't talk about what the job will mean to you; talk about how the company will benefit from hiring you. Show you know working for their company is different (every company thinks they're different) and how you're excited by the challenge. Sell yourself: use what you know about the company and how you will make an impact to back up your pitch.
8. Ask for the job.
Most people don't mind being closed. Plus a decision put off until tomorrow is a decision added to the to-do list; no one wants more on their plates.
If you truly know you want the job -- and you should by this point -- ask for it. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Who knows: if you've worked hard to truly set yourself apart, you might get hired on the spot.
I know what you're thinking: That's too much work to put in, especially if there's no guarantee your extra effort will result in a job.
Flip it around. Doing what everyone else does is very unlikely to result in a job. Decide you will be different -- and then work hard to actually be different. Then you will stand out. Then you'll have a much better chance of landing the job you really want.

楼主| 发表于 2/18/2016 15:17:32 | 显示全部楼层
hunting jobs is not easy work, it must be pay much attention than you have ever thought. relationship always decide who will be interview and who will be choose. therefore, whoever are good at communication skills always have great chance to gain lots.
 楼主| 发表于 2/18/2016 15:22:54 | 显示全部楼层
10 Things Successful People Do Every Day.
They know how to set boundaries.
Many of us are raised never to say the word “no,” but sometimes you have to say “no.” Not every business proposition is a good one, and not all partners are the right ones. Successful people realize they cannot take on every single project or work with every single person. They know they sometimes have to back off and take care of themselves first.
Of course, if you can say “no” in a creative way that still leaves the door open for future opportunities, that is often a great idea!
Do not be afraid to occasionally say “no” to your own ambition as well. This goes back to the work-life balance point discussed earlier. You need to sometimes say “no” to another hour of work and “yes” to taking a little time off. It may not feel like you are working hard enough, but you are! You need time for you too.

楼主| 发表于 2/18/2016 15:24:43 | 显示全部楼层
They keep failure in perspective.
You have probably met businesspeople who take pride in having very little experience with failure—or so they claim. But those people are typically lying to your or not as successful as they seem. Maybe they just got lucky and built an empire on a stroke of fate or a large inheritance.
In reality, success is typically built on a series of failures and lessons learned. Do not let your past failures weigh you down or make you feel like a failure. Successful people learn from failures every day and recognize that so long as they do, they are still on the road to success.

楼主| 发表于 2/18/2016 15:26:38 | 显示全部楼层
They make the most of their networks.
The most successful people never try to go it alone if they do not have to, and they always look for opportunities to network and expand their circle of friends and business associates.
They realize that every conversation is an opportunity, and could hold the seed of potential for a new business relationship or venture. When they find themselves facing harsh times, they reach out to others for ideas. When others in their networks struggle, they offer solutions.

楼主| 发表于 2/18/2016 15:30:43 | 显示全部楼层
They are realistically optimistic.
Successful people focus on the positive wherever possible—but not blindly. Optimism helps us spot opportunities we would miss if we were focusing on the negative.
While you must always plan for the future and for potential pitfalls, you must believe there is a way across the chasms that gape below. Otherwise you will turn back long before the journey is complete, or take a fall along the way.

楼主| 发表于 2/18/2016 15:34:27 | 显示全部楼层
They lead balanced lives.
In the professional world, there is a lot of pressure always to be working. If you are not working 20 hours and sleeping 4, you must not want it badly enough. That is what people will tell you in pretty much any field.
However, that is simply not true, and people who live that way will eventually burn out and crash hard. They think they can sacrifice their health, relationships, and leisure time for a few hard years and then coast for the rest of their lives. Rarely if ever does entrepreneurship actually work this way. Most successful entrepreneurs work very hard for a long time.
That just makes it more important than ever to find time for other important things in your life, and especially for important people! A healthy, balanced life is necessary if you are going to have the strength to hang in there for the long term.
It also is essential to remember why you want success. Most of us want monetary success to support our lifestyles and families. But if you throw out your life and family along the way, what success will you have achieved?
 楼主| 发表于 2/18/2016 15:37:40 | 显示全部楼层
They take the leap.
What is the number one reason why many people never succeed at their goals in life? Probably a refusal to try! The higher you set your sights, the scarier the prospect of failure can be. But that is no reason not to try. What you never know can’t hurt you—or so you might think.
The truth is, however, it is hurting you ever day not to give yourself a chance. So take that leap you have been putting off. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. You never know; it could be the leap that changes your life.

楼主| 发表于 2/18/2016 15:38:49 | 显示全部楼层
They exercise and eat right.
Successful people who stay that way over the long term do not abuse their bodies. They take time each day to prepare and eat healthy meals and to work out. Even President Barack Obama manages to find time to get up every morning and exercise before work, often for 90 minutes a day.
If the most powerful (and busy) man in the world has time for a daily workout, so do you!

楼主| 发表于 2/18/2016 15:40:35 | 显示全部楼层
They set S.M.A.R.T. goals.
What is success? Most people would probably define success as achieving a goal. But you can never be successful if you set unachievable goals. Many goals are unrealistic or too nebulous for follow-through.
Instead, try setting S.M.A.R.T. goals. S.M.A.R.T. is an acronym which stands for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Timely. The acronym pretty much says it all. These are goals which are concrete, narrowly defined, and which you can measure your progress towards.
You can achieve them within a finite amount of time, and they are relevant to your overall success.

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

站内文章仅为网友提供更多信息,不代表本网站同意其说法或描述,也不构成任何建议。本网站仅为网友提供交流平台,对网友自由上传的文字和图片等,本网站
不为其版权和内容等负责。站内部分内容转载自其它社区、论坛或各种媒体,有些原作者未知。如您认为站内的某些内容属侵权,请及时与我们联络并进行处理。
关于我们|隐私政策|免责条款|版权声明|网站导航|帮助中心
道至大 道天成

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|联系我们|天易综合网 (Twitter@wolfaxcom)

GMT-5, 12/14/2019 08:28 , Processed in 0.224896 second(s), 13 queries , Gzip On.

Copyright 天易网 network. All Rights Reserved.

© 2009-2015 .

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表